FREE Tax Preparation will be available between February 6 through April 18, 2023!
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program offers FREE tax return preparation for qualified individuals. We are committed to helping our ALICE neighbors with low and moderate incomes receive the refunds and tax credits they deserve. VITA is a critical stop along the Pathway to Financial Stability!
AM I ELIGIBLE FOR FREE TAX PREP?
If you earned less than $60,000 in 2022, you are eligible to have your taxes prepared and e-filed completely free of charge.
HOW DO I MAKE AN APPOINTMENT?
Call 2-1-1, a free line operated locally by the Mental Health Association of Frederick County. You may also call 866-411-6803 to reach the Frederick call center directly. Appointments are required.
WHAT ARE VITA HOURS?
629 N Market St Frederick, MD 21701 (Bernard Brown Community Room)
VITA appointments will be offered on Monday from 12 pm - 6 pm; Tuesday 9 am - 3 pm; and Wednesday from 9 am - 6 pm.
All hours are subject to change without notice, depending on staff availability.
Download FAQs here and see below for what to bring to your VITA appointment:
- Proof of identification (photo ID)
- Social Security cards for you, your spouse and dependents
- An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter may be substituted for you, your spouse and your dependents if you do not have a Social Security number
- Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN
- Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
- Wage and earning statements (Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R,1099-Misc) from all employers
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
- Health Insurance Exemption Certificate, if received
- A copy of last year’s federal and state returns, if available
- Proof of bank account routing and account numbers for direct deposit such as a blank check
- To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms
- Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider's tax identifying number such as their Social Security number or business Employer Identification Number
- Forms 1095-A, B and C, Health Coverage Statements
- Copies of income transcripts from IRS and state, if applicable
This tax preparation checklist will help you ensure you have all required documents in advance of your appointment.
For important information on Individual Tax Payer Identification Numbers (ITIN), including how to renew yours if you haven’t used it at least once on a federal tax return in the last three years or if your ITIN is expiring and needs renewed, click here.
WHO CAN I CONTACT FOR QUESTIONS?
For questions, please contact VITA Program Manager, John Romani, at email@example.com.
VITA is made possible thanks to our sponsors and partners:
...and donors like you. Thank you!
Our partnership with the Asian American Center of Frederick’s Empower U program will continue this year by providing free tax preparation to local ALICE households. This program partners with United Way’s Prosperity Center and VITA program to help ALICE families claim their Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and reduce Adverse Childhood Experience (ACEs).
You may qualify for the free Online Taxes resource if you:
- Earned under $72,000 Adjusted Gross Income (AGI), or
- Are eligible for Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), or
- Are Active Duty Military and earned under $72,000 AGI
You will qualify for a free state return if you qualify for the free federal return.
Are you getting all the tax credits you’re eligible for?
We work to educate eligible residents on the Earned Income Tax Credit and Child Tax Credit which can help working families leverage larger returns.
The Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) is a refundable federal income tax credit for low- to moderate-income working individuals and families. Individuals or families with or without children may qualify for the EITC. For example, a single person who earned less than $21,430 last year or a family of three that earned less than $57,414 may each qualify for a refundable EITC. In addition to the EITC, some families may also qualify for the Child Tax Credit (CTC). The credit increased from $2,000 per child in 2020 to $3,600 in 2021 for each child under age 6. Similarly, for each child age 6 to 16, it’s increased from $2,000 to $3,000. It also provides the $3,000 credit for 17-year-olds. Under the American Rescue Plan, the IRS disbursed half of the 2021 Child Tax Credit in monthly payments during the second half of 2021. Also, low-income seniors may qualify for the Tax Credit for the Elderly. These credits can reduce the amount of income taxes workers owe – but even workers who owe no taxes can qualify for credits.
Do you know about the EITC tax refund delays?
If you are a taxpayer claiming the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and Additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC), please read this. For another year, the IRS will begin releasing your refunds after February 15. To find out more about this important change, please click here.
We're not leaving you behind! You can still file your taxes free of charge using United Way's free online filing service. To prepare your own taxes, click here, or visit MyFreeTaxes.com to prepare and file your federal and state taxes. No filing fees!
Over the past eight years, MyFreeTaxes.com has helped over 750,000 taxpayers across the country claim every deduction and credit they deserve.
The IRS's Volunteer Income Tax Preparation (VITA) program offers FREE basic tax return preparation for qualified individuals. The VITA program has operated for over 50 years! United Way of Frederick County's Prosperity Center is Frederick County's largest VITA site. We are committed to helping our neighbors with low and moderate incomes receive 100% FREE tax preparation support so they can get back their maximum refund and save more of their hard-earned money. VITA is a critical stop along the Pathway to Financial Stability!
Our IRS-certified VITA volunteers will prepare and e-file taxes for eligible individuals completely free of charge at our VITA location! Appointments are required and you can make yours starting in January by simply dialing 2-1-1, a free line operated locally by the Mental Health Association of Frederick County. You may also call 866-411-6803 to reach the Frederick call center directly.
In 2022, VITA completed 444 tax returns, bringing back $988,553 in tax refunds to the Frederick community.