The recent economic and health struggles have disproportionately affected those struggling to afford basic cost of living. Their plans have been derailed, through no fault of their own, and they need our help. As we look forward to the future, we must unite to help more than 1 in 3 local struggling families move forward.
At United Way of Frederick County, we CARE about local ALICE families who struggle every day.
To provide the best programs for local working families, we must first identify their greatest needs. Housing, transportation, and career development are areas of critical need for ALICE households in Frederick County to move forward from their financial burdens.
We MOBILIZE community assets to create solutions for our community’s toughest problems.
Using data collected through the ALICE Report, United Way develops programs that directly address the areas of critical need and creates models to ensure the programs have long-term sustainability. Investments are mobilized immediately to fund programs that address the most pressing needs.
Innovative programs designed to move ALICE households forward on their Pathway to Financial Stability include:
- Ride United - over 4,000 free or discounted rides to work, school, doctor's appointments, etc. provided to date
- Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) - free tax preparation returning over $980,000 to hard-working ALICE families
- Free Budget Coaching - teaches how to set and achieve financial goals
- Free Credit Counseling - significant increases in credit score and reductions in debt
- Homebuyer Matches Savings Program - 26 new homeowners graduated in 5 years, 27 savers in program close to purchasing their first home
- Used Car Matches Savings Program - 7 savers purchased safe, reliable vehicles in program's first two years
We IMPROVE our community to promote long-term positive change.
United Way of Frederick County collects and analyzes data to provide local decision makers with necessary information to affect long-term change for our most vulnerable neighbors. Transparent and outstanding information allows local nonprofits, businesses and government to better identify gaps in community resources and drive creative solutions forward.
At United Way of Frederick County, we strive for a community where everyone achieves their greatest potential through healthy lives, education, and financial stability. Too often, our struggling neighbors find themselves without the resources to move forward. Now, with your help, your local United Way can provide the tools needed to help them march towards their goal.
Today, we ask you to invest in your community and in the potential of your neighbors. With your support, we can continue Moving Forward United.