Skip to main content

Planned Giving

The Spires Society, United Way of Frederick County’s planned giving program, is comprised of individuals who demonstrate extraordinary forethought and generosity to ensure the ongoing health and well-being of the Frederick County community. 

What is Planned Giving?

Through outright gifts to the United Way of Frederick County unrestricted endowment, or through deferred gift commitments to United Way of Frederick County and/or its endowment, Spires Society members plant seeds of kindness that will improve lives for generations to come. In addition, planned gifts can provide significant financial and tax benefits for you and your family.

Ways to give

There are many ways to give to United Way of Frederick County in your will or estate plan. The most popular planned gift is a bequest, where you include United Way of Frederick County as a beneficiary in your will, trust, or other instrument. If you do include United Way of Frederick County in your future plans, please notify us so that we can ensure that your gift will be spent in accordance with your wishes.  Other planned opportunities are available including charitable remainder trusts, charitable lead trusts, charitable gift annuities, etc.  Please contact Ken Oldham at or 301-663-4231 for more information about these planned giving options.

How do I make a bequest?

A bequest is one of the most straight forward methods of planned giving. With the help of your financial/legal advisor, you can include language in your will or trust specifying that a gift can be made to United Way of Frederick County.

Your options for making a bequest include:

  • Cash
  • Stocks and bonds
  • Retirement Assets
  • Insurance
  • Real estate
  • IRA rollover gifts

How to Join the Spires Society

Membership in Spires Society is easy.  Fill out and submit this form, or write us a letter indicating that you have included United Way of Frederick County in your estate plans.


Want to learn more about Spires Society at United Way of Frederick County?  Please contact Ken Oldham at or 301-663-4231.